Visual Culture

Connect, Create, Inspire

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

VC Exclusive: A conversation with Marian Bantjes

Design can be a powerful tool to inspire change, promote thought and raise awareness. We recently had the pleasure of speaking with acclaimed graphic designer and typographer Marian Bantjes. The recent AGI inductee provides insight into her recent poster series “Design Ignites Change” and gives with a glimpse of what is to come in 2009.

VC: What sparked “this change” you speak of 5 years ago to do more personal inspired work?

MB: I was just worn out by the daily grind of working in the regular model of graphic design, doing merely good work, running a studio etc. I was sick to death of it and wanted out. I desperately wanted to do something that was more connected to me, more artistic and personal.

VC: Your overall work has a certain signature to it, but at the same time has a nice range. Tell us a little about your process and how your work has evolved over the years?

MB: I’m afraid my process is very dull. I sit around thinking, ideas spring into my head, I work on one sketch, maybe three at the most, to get that idea from my head onto paper, and then I finalize it, either by hand or on computer. I’m interested in so many different things, it’s hard for me to get it all out. So I’m constantly leaping from one thing to the next, making notes on ideas and trying to find the right home for them. The difficulty is sometimes dragging clients along with me. They want me to do something I’ve done before; I want to do something I’ve never done.

VC: Tell us a little about your Design Ignites Change series with AED. How did it come about? What initiated the technique of laser cutting for Version #1 of the poster and silver foil on copper paper for Version #2?

MB: They started it last year with a poster from Luba Lukova. When they approached me this year, I of course said yes. Any design brief which is “do what you want with these few words” is the kind of brief I like to have (provided the words don’t suck). I sat around, I thought about it, and the idea of the laser-cut thing sprang into my head. The way it changes when you look through it; the way the paper is Ignited… it was perfect. The only problem was it was expensive. So I ran it past them and offered my fee back to pay for the laser cut and they agreed.

Somewhere along the way we started looking at different papers and drooling over other possible techniques, which is when we decided to do both: the silver foil on copper paper, following the laser cut. They’re both bitchin’, and the sale goes to a good cause.

VC: Will there be a Version #3 using a different printing technique?

MB: No, we’re done. I’ve referred them to Eike König of HORT in Berlin to do the one for next year. He’s amazing; he’ll do something really great.

VC: The DIC posters were part of a series to promote the importance of design in development work. Do you see yourself doing more work geared towards social and environmental initiatives?

MB: Well… I’ll be honest, it’s not something I seek out. But I like to do it; I would like to make more beautiful things that could be sold to help good causes. At the same time, I’m just me, I have no studio or helpers who can make other things to pay the bills while I’m doing good works. So I usually accept things which come my way (provided I get carte blanche for the design), but a gal’s gotta make a living too.

VC: What’s in the horizon? Is there anything you are currently working on that you would like to share with us?

MB: I am essentially taking 2009 off to work on my own book. I don’t wanna say too much about it, but if it turns out the way I intend, it’ll be great. It’s not a monograph; it’s something else. So I’ll be turning down pretty much everything in 2009, unless it’s a really exceptional opportunity or worth gobs of cash. But I really need all the time I can get for the book.

VC: Working virtually and living off the coast of Canada, How do manage you stay connected to the design community?

MB: I go to conferences (often to speak), or judge design. I have a huge virtual life, with friends all over the US and in Europe, so I’m connected via computer. And I tend to go to New York around 3 times per year.

VC: You’ve met with much success as of late, in addition to being inducted into AGI in September 2008. With all the recognition you’ve received in the few years, what do you do to stay grounded?

MB: Um, I look around. Most of the time I feel unworthy of the accolades. I look at other people’s work and I think “I’m not so shit hot; look at this!” Sometimes I’m so grounded I’m 6 feet under.

posted by Oberholtzer Creative Staff at 7:45 am

13 Comments »

1. Awesome post I bookmared it on Delicious and submitted on Digg! Hopefully it sends more people your way:)

Comment by job offers in glasgow — January 14, 2011 @ 10:50 am

2. Hiya, I simply hopped over in your website online by means of StumbleUpon. Not one thing I would usually learn, but I liked your emotions none the less. Thank you for making something value reading.

Comment by اغاني — January 14, 2011 @ 11:29 am

3. Thank you for making the sincere strive to explain this. I feel very robust about it and want to be informed more. If it’s OK, as you attain extra in depth wisdom, might you mind including more posts very similar to this one with additional information? It would be extremely useful and useful for me and my colleagues.

Comment by Crewneck Sweater — January 14, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

4. Thank you for the intriguing read! Alright playtime is over and back to school work, time to say goodbye to Visual Culture » VC Exclusive: A conversation with Marian Bantjes.

Comment by auto centro catalogo — January 14, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

5. Hi, remarkable job, if I wasn’t so busy with my course work I read your full weblog. I really have to say thank you!

Comment by casa gala — January 14, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

6. hiya all, I was just checkin’ out this blog and I really enjoy the basis of the article, and have nothing to do, so if anyone would like to to have an enjoyable conversation about it, please contact me on AIM, my name is tim naeire

Comment by fighting video game — January 14, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

7. As a Newbie, I am always researching online for articles that can help me get further ahead.

Comment by casa gala — January 14, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

8. hi everyone, I was just checkin’ out this site and I really like the foundation of the article, and have nothing to do, so if anyone wants to have an compelling conversation about it, please contact me on yahoo, my name is paul robechaud

Comment by street fighter — January 14, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

9. Oxaprozin aches by playing tables that [b]attorney celebrex hypertension tx vioxx[/b] inflammation and urinalysis in the body.

Comment by buy online cheap pheromone — January 14, 2011 @ 8:19 pm

10. hello you guys, I was just checkin’ out this blog and I really admire the foundation of the article, and have nothing to do, so if anyone would like to to have an interesting chat about it, please contact me on yahoo, my name is samuel naeire

Comment by street fighter — January 14, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

11. The avodart for prostate cancer treatment enzymes, which are inhibited by nsaids, impede an congenital chemo in inflammation.

Comment by buy ketoconazole online — January 14, 2011 @ 8:42 pm

12. hello anyone, I was just checkin’ out this site and I really love the basis of the article, and have nothing to do, so if anyone would like to to have an interesting convo about it, please contact me on yahoo, my name is john johnson

Comment by fighting video game — January 14, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

13. Awsome article and right to the point. I don’t know if this is really the best place to ask but do you folks have any ideea where to hire some professional writers? Thanks in advance :)

Comment by ebru şallı plates — January 14, 2011 @ 9:28 pm